Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Be Positive

The weather in my area has been quite beautiful lately. Wherever you may be, I have a task for you to accomplish the next time you look outside and notice how beautiful the weather is. I know that many of us have crazy schedules and work keeps you busy, but just slow down, take five minutes of time alone to sit and think about what you are thankful for.

If you commit to doing it, the task is not very difficult. Maybe take a walk during your lunch break, sit quietly in the car before you pull out of the parking lot, find a nearby park...whatever you have to do, just do it.

We all have something to be thankful for! Without getting too spiritual, you can be thankful that you have a loving family, thankful that you have/had caring parents, thankful that you have an income during this strained economy.

On the surface, you may think that this is a silly exercise, but you'd be amazed at how much better you feel when you take a moment to focus on the positives in your life. So often, we get caught up in the negatives and the stress around us, that we forget about the wonderful things that we have access to in our lives.

I watched the news recently and saw the story of David Kellermann, acting CFO of Fannie Mae, who took his own life. I watched as they wheeled his body out of his $900k home, and instantly thought "I'm sure that there are people less than 15 minutes from that house, who fight everyday to live on the streets with no home, and THIS man thought his life was so bad that he had nothing to live for?!" Ask yourself...do you think Mr. Kellermann ever stopped to think about what he had to be thankful for?

1 comment:

Jennifer Hallenbeck said...

I love this, John, and try to do this everyday. I'm so thankful for so many things and I know that in a blink that can be changed. It's a great thought and I hope a lot of your readers will do the same. No matter how bad a day someone may be having, someone else has it worse. I'm sure of that. We can get through anything and being thankful for something is a good start.