Saturday, June 27, 2009

MJ Karma

You know me...I'm not afraid to take an unpopular stand, so here we go.

It is no secret that I am a believer in karma. Well, that five letter word has been in my mind over the past couple of days. Be it television, radio, or online, just about every media outlet has been saturated with coverage of the death of Michael Jackson. I saw a distraught fan on television say, "I can't believe he's gone! Why would God take such a talented soul from us so soon?!" Without hesitation, I blurted out, "Karma!"

In my opinion (and MY opinion is the very reason that I have a blog) Michael Jackson was a tremendous talent. He was blessed with the gift of musical communication. There are some folks who can "sing" and some folks who communicate when they deliver songs. MJ's music was delivered in such a fashion that it attracted fans from every corner of society. Those who appreciated his music spanned all strata of people regardless of ethnicity, wealth or religion. He was a true "performer" in that when he developed his stage shows, it was equally important to be visually and musically satisfied. The singing, the dancing, the production...they were all things that you could count on when you bought a ticket to an MJ concert. There can be very little debate that MJ was a very special individual, and that his body housed a unique God-given talent. His body was the vessel chosen to share this talent with the world.

How did he choose to show his appreciation for the gifts that he was given? By taking it into his own hands to alter and carve up the vessel for that talent to look like what he THOUGHT he wanted. I say "thought" because it is very obvious that MJ had more than one plastic surgery, meaning that after the first time, he still wasn't happy with how he looked, so he went back for more. To me it was like he was addressing God by saying, "Ok, so...thanks for that whole talented singer and dancer thing, but you clearly messed up when you made my nose and my chin. Oh, and my skin color? Cmon...what were you thinking?" And finally, God responded by saying, "Oh well, if you're that unhappy with how I've made you, you don't need to be on Earth any longer."

Karma.

No comments: