Friday, July 24, 2009

Police Behavior...Part 1

**Warning: Possible Controversial Opinion**

So I've been reading the details of the Cambridge, MA arrest of the African American professor in his home. I am torn in my feelings, because what I feel is the key to the actions that took place, is in question.
I've read the police report, I've read the arresting officer's account of what occurred, I've even read Mr. Gates' account of what happened, and none of them mentioned that Mr. Gates initially produced ID as to his identity and proof that he lived at that location. Only Mr. Gates' lawyer has stated that identification was produced immediately in the situation. In my mind, that's the key to why the police acted how they did in THIS situation.
As a homeowner, I would think that Mr. Gates would be glad that police were so quick to respond to reports of someone breaking into his home. The police were there to investigate what they believed was a crime, and acted accordingly. If, in fact Mr. Gates did not produce identification, then the police were well within their rights, and did not deserve to be treated how they were treated.
What troubles me is the thought process of Mr. Gates in the first place. He is a professor, so he is obviously a bright man. He was said to have been returning from a trip to China, and "broke in" because he couldn't find his keys. I don't know about there, but in my neighborhood, folks look out for each other, so knowing that Gates was out of town, a neighbor could've been quick to pick up the phone to protect his neighbor's house. How could've it have been handled better? If you are going off to a foreign country, leave a key with a neighbor. If you realize that you are locked out, call the police to get them to help you get into the house.
From all evidence that I've read, Mr Gates could've done so many things differently, to have avoided this particular situation...

No comments: